Hysitron offers the option of adding a 500 μm displacement capability to the TI 950 TriboIndenter®. The XZ-500 Extended Displacement provides additional capability to test relatively soft and compliant material systems. This option provides a unique combination of:
- Ultra-low force-sensing
- Low displacement noise floor
- Large displacement actuation range
Previously, commercial nanoindenters have been able to achieve an ultra-low force-sensing capability with a small displacement noise floor, but not combined with a relatively large displacement actuation range.
The XZ-500 Extended Displacement option is ideally suited for testing of challenging samples such as soft polymers, gels, adhesive materials and other compliant materials. In addition this option can also be used to confirm the stiffness of MEMS based cantilever beam systems.
Hysitron’s patented three-plate capacitive transducer operates in parallel with the XZ-500 Extended Displacement stage. The decoupled test operation combines force sensing by the transducer and indentation axis actuation by the stage, and allows for a <30 nN force noise floor and ~1 nm displacement noise floor over the entire 500 μm displacement range.
The Hysitron XZ-500 Extended Displacement stage features:
- <30 nN force noise floor and ~1 nm displacement noise floor over the entire 500 μm displacement range
- In-situ SPM imaging capability exclusive to Hysitron instrumentation
- User-specified zero displacement point
- Easily interfaces with all Hysitron TI 950 TriboIndenter with the performech™
advanced control module